Monday 10 October 2011

HOW ?

Dear All,
         Some people have asked how I have made the small sculptures-beads-pendant things.

1. I model a small sculpture using Sculpey, which works like Fimo but is a much more usable texture. When finished this is then cooked in the oven, then I carve it and polish it etc . . .

2. Then I make a mold of RTV rubber, I use a vacuum chamber to remove any air bubbles from the rubber. The Simple objects are one piece molds using the softest rubber, the snake and octopus are 2 piece.

3. Then I cast polyurethane copies, using the chamber again. With some of the objects I then make a second mold to cast them 4 at a time using the first copies made from the first mold.

4. After casting each sculpture is then cleaned up using a knife and-or a grinder. Then they get polished a little using very course canvas. They get a gentle cooking in the oven to assist the curing process.

5. Then I paint them with a very hard wearing glass lacquer which I then wipe off to give the aged look. The lacquer is super gloss so I mix up a satin lacquer and give them a coat of that after.


6. If they are gonna have jewel eyes I then carve out correct size hole and superglue in a jewel, the jewels backs are pointed which makes them glitter better and makes them more secure.

 As the pieces are worn they will change their appearance a bit, in a good way.

SCULPEY:  sculpey make a range of products in different textures. I find Super-Sculpey or Super-Sculpey-Firm the best. If you want to make some small things for yourself they make a multipack of coloured Sculpey III blocks which for £20 is a great deal. This is apparantly the same texture as Super Sculpey but in pretty colours. Super Sculpeys main disadvantage is that it is translucent so you have to mix in white and black to make it a better colour for modelling .

Okay thats how I make them, god it makes me feel tired just seeing it like that, Err did you say you wanted a discount ???

I will stick in some pics soon,
                                    Over and Out M

No comments:

Post a Comment